Leadership is a habit, a practice. Great leaders do the same outstanding things over and over, day in day out. Here are five things that great leaders do every day.
1. Think about tomorrow. We get so caught up with what is right in our face that we can forget about the future. Great leaders always have an eye on the horizon.
2. Put others first. We can be self absorbed and only focus on ourselves. Great leaders put the interests of others before their own.
3. Do things they don’t want to do. It’s easy to dodge or delay hard things or things we don’t like to do. Leaders realise that every day, they’ll be called upon to make tough decisions and make calls that might make them unpopular, but they do them anyway.
4. Have difficult conversations. Few problems or issues get better on their own. We can tend to avoid or delay difficult conversations.
5. Strive to be better. Continuous improvement can be exhausting and just getting through the day might be the goal. Great leaders, though, strive to be better each day, even if just by 1 or 2%. They set the bar high for themselves and others.
Why not pick one and make it your focus for today?