The Latin word for new is nova, you know, as in innovation. So, to innovate means to do something new. Doing something new means stopping doing the old. Stopping doing something means changing. Change is one of the most challenging concepts that organisations face. Effective change only comes about when leaders drive it.
You simply can’t innovate without LEADERSHIP.
Earlier this year the results of the largest study into Australian leadership (Study of Australian Leadership) were released. One of the key findings was that more capable leaders are more innovative. It also said that innovation is a critical source of productivity growth and competitiveness.
It’s simple – if you want to become more productive and competitive, you must have your leaders driving change that leads to increased value for your customers.
Here are some practical tips for leaders to drive innovation
- Start asking questions like ‘Why are we doing it this way’
- Start listening – to your people, ask them for ideas
- Start experimenting – pilot new ideas and learn what happens
- Learn from best practice – who are the leaders in your area?
- Give people permission to fail – not everything will work
Let us know if we can help your leaders drive change and embrace innovation.