The results from the largest ever leadership study in Australia have just been released. The Study of Australian Leadership (SAL) was conducted by Melbourne University and funded by the Federal Government.
SAL surveyed 8,000 individuals across 2,500 workplaces. It involved senior leadership (CEOs), as well as frontline leaders and employees.
1. Frontline leaders have the most impact on employees, shaping their work experience and creating the work environment.
- Takeout: The performance of your frontline leaders, not your MD or CEO, matters most to your employees.
2. Leaders drive the organisational capabilities that lead to better performance.
- Takeout: The better your leaders are, the better your organisation will perform.
3. Leadership is critical for innovation which is vital for business performance.
- Takeout: Everyone is talking about innovation, but we should be talking about leadership driving innovation.
4. Engagement, culture, trust and ‘intention to quit’ are results of good leadership.
- Takeout: Whether your people care or not, trust each other or not, or are going to stay or not, are direct results of leadership.
5. Investment in leadership development pays. Leadership development results in more confident, capable leaders who drive both performance and innovation.
- Takeout: Investing in leadership development means you will get better leaders, and with it, all of the benefits as outlined above.
Key Question for You!
What are you doing about leadership development at your place? This research has just been released. It’s hot off the press, it’s reliable, current and trustworthy.
If you need help developing leaders, call or email. We can help.